- B.Arch (hon), MRTPI, Ph.D
- Academic appointments:
- Reader in Sustainable Urban Design, University of Dundee, 2019- present
- External Examiner, University of Strathclyde, 2020- 2024
- Associate Director of the Centre for Environmental Change and Human Resilience, University of Dundee, 2015- 2017
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. University of Reading, 2007- 2008
- Part-time Lecturer in Architecture, Liverpool University, 2003- 2006
- Consultancy appointments:
- Urban Design Group Executive Committee 2021
- Associate in Kevin Murray Associates, 2014 - present
- PlacemakingX Regional Network Leader, 2019 - present
- Urban Design Adviser, Broomhall Home Farm Partnership, 2017 - 2018
- Advisor to Scottish Government charrette events and the New Ideas Funded Programme, 2017 - 2018
Husam is an urbanist and planner with a background in architecture, urban planning and sustainability. He is currently Reader in Sustainable Urban Design at the University of Dundee and has worked with various UK and International governmental and corporate agencies on research, training and engagement projects. Husam’s work has had a demonstrable impact in both academia and practice. He has a focussed interest in the future of sustainable places, towns and cities, and in particular the development of new approaches to sustainable urbanism and the way new methodologies are facilitated and managed.
Husam is an award-winning author with published work on a wide range of subjects from architecture, urbanism, sustainability and healthy neighbourhoods to the specifics of placemaking facilitation and performance evaluation. Titles include: 'Site and Composition: Design strategies in Architecture and Urbanism', 'Rethinking Masterplanning: Creating Better Places', 'Energy Saving Potential for Residential Buildings in Hot Climates: The Case of Oman' and 'Changing the Focus: Viewing Design-Led Events within Collaborative Planning'. He brings insight to research, teaching, community stakeholder engagement and professional practice at the intersection between theoretical and contemporary policy and practice.
Husam has a national and international profile through his work with government departments and professional institutes. These include: The Scottish Government's Planning Review Evidence; the recent Scottish Government investigation into community participation design processes; and the recent RTPI's Measuring Planning Outcomes. Husam coordinated and facilitated the 2019 Cairo International Future City Co-Design Workshop. He has been a Special Advisor to Scottish Government charrette events and the New Ideas Funded Programme.
Husam is a Registered Overseas Architect, a Corporate Member of the RTPI, an Academician with Academy of Urbanism (AoU), a Recognised Practitioner in Urban Design (UDG), and a BREEAM AP Communities assessor.